Sunday, August 19, 2012

Dalton's Pub & Oliver

Oliver..oh Oliver

As many of my avid readers know, when one has a drink or two the natural inclination is to find a restroom (but don't call it that in IRE...its not a bathroom, a restroom, the ladies room or any other euphemism...its a toilet, a no frills toilet!)  So after a pint or two I
Bettina made her way to the toilet which is outside on the "smoking patio" for the pub.  The patio is about 4 feet wide by about 12 feet long.  Its just long enough for a row of chairs against 1 wall & a few spent kegs for seating along the other.  When she comes back in she tells me that I just have to go out to the patio and that it was awesome.  Now in my mind I was thinking...yeah whatever I've seen walk-in closets with more space than this "patio".  I go out anyway because, well why not.

I am so glad that I did.  Turns out there was this older gentleman that was outside just singing away.  Little ditties with a traditional Irish sound to them that you can't help but tap your toes to.  I had never heard any of his tunes and probably for good reason.  The majority of the ones I heard were dirty & hilarious.  This man who was keeping the entire patio area entertained is a local by the name of Oliver.  Kaylene fell in love with him & wanted to bring him home with us, I have to say, I think all of us had a little crush on him by the end...even Kelly & Joe had man-crushes I think.

After Oliver sang a song titled "To the Moon" about a monkey going to the moon he told me a story that went along with the song.  As he tells it one of his good friends moved to America & became an astronaut.  He goes on to tell me that this friend of his has since gone to the international space station and that Oliver himself had the honor of doing a "wake-up" call to his friend.  According to Oliver he sang "To the Moon" and Nasa played it to all the astronauts to wake the up one morning as a gift to his friend who was there at the time.  Now I had just been to Blarney Castle a few short hours before so I thought Oliver was just feeding me a bunch of blarney & was laughing it off as a great story when Oliver suddenly became serious and told me to google it.

I didn't google until I got home from my trip because...well I didn't want to pull my iPad out again after everyone had been drinking...after I had been drinking :)  Since leaving I can confirm that Oliver did indeed sing his ditty as a wake up call to the astronauts of the international space station for his friend who moved from Kinsale Ireland to the USA!!  If you want to hear the ditty, I am sharing the link I found when I googled Oliver...its not the whole song but it will give you a bit of an idea about what we were lucky enough to experience that night.

Oliver

Thank you Daltons Pub...thank you for wi-fi and thank you for Oliver!

No comments:

Post a Comment